Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Love of God




Many people in the world have their own definition of love but we need to understand what love is from God’s point of view. Actually, an act of kindness is considered to be love (charity, firefighter, etc). However, the Apostle Paul wrote:

1Cor 13:1 “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing… now these three remain: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love.”

This verse broke my concept because obviously faith alone does not equate to love. Charity and giving all my possessions to the poor and even saving somebody from the flames and burning myself up does not equate to love. Then what is love? What kind of love is Apostle Paul talking about? He went to the Kingdom of Heaven so we need to understand what kind of teaching he is delivering in this verse.

Those who love have been born of God (1Jn 4:7) according to the Bible. Then, we need to understand how to obtain this perfect love so that eventually we can enter the Kingdom of Heaven. In our next post we will discuss this precious topic of love more in detail. God bless you!

No comments: